The beauty of this dish is the simplicity of the prep. Right before we get ready for bed we take 10 minutes to make the marinate and put all the ingredients in a giant glass bowl with a lid. When 4pm rolls around all that’s left to do is preheat the oven, transfer for the chicken and veggies into a roasting pan and pop it all in the oven. The chicken goes a yummy golden brown from the slightly sweet and savory marinate. You’ll definitely want some rice or quinoa to soak up all those delicious juices so don’t forget to turn the Ricemaker. Job Done! Adapted from The Jerusalem Cookbook
- 3 lbs chicken pieces. We use skin-on drumsticks
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (roughly chopped)
- 3 clementines sliced into thin discs
- Salt to desired taste
For the marinade:
- 6 tablespoons balsamic
- 4 tablespoons EVOO / Avocado Oil / Macadamia Nut Oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- few grinds of salt
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl or measuring jug.
- Prep fennel & carrots
- Put your chicken in large bowl with a lid (if marinading) or roasting tray (if cooking right away). Pour the marinade over the chicken. Add salt as needed.
- Add the carrots and fennel and toss lightly coating everything in the marinade.
- When ready preheat the oven to 425F and cook for 1 hr. Shake halfway through to avoid burning.
- Serve over rice or quinoa.