Although Mark and I follow a mostly GF / paleo / keto diet, we both feel strongly that our son should be exposed to as many different foods as possible, including wheat.
Whenever we make a meal we make sure his portion includes plenty of slow-release carbs. Sometimes potatoes, quinoa, rice or pasta, but for whatever reason bread has never been his thing. I have a number of theories as to why…he doesn’t see us eating it, I didn’t eat any bread when I was pregnant, etc etc. Who knows why, but regardless of the rationale…it’s been a constant source of frustration. A sandwich or a bagel is a great meal for on the go and not being able to use bread as a conduit can be extremely limiting, especially for lunches.
Before baby we used to make this Deliciously Ella Superfood Bread pretty much every week. It’s delicious, but super dense so it wasn’t really a good option for Joel.
Out of the blue the other day we were sitting outside having dinner in our courtyard at a big communal table where our neighbors were also eating. When Joel saw their beautiful freshly sliced bread sitting on a chopping board he started yelling TOAST TOAST. Being oh so neighborly, they kindly offered him a slice and he devoured it. Unlike the Deliciously Ella recipe it is lighter and fluffier and has the consistency of a nice healthy whole grain bread. At this point I was gagging for the recipe which they gave me and quickly whipped up a batch – very closely adapted from Paleo Grub! The changes I made were out of necessity because I didn’t have pumpkin seeds or almond meal on hand, but I was pretty pleased with the results. It’s gluten-free, grain-free and refined- sugar free and packed full of healthy fats. This loaf is sure to become a staple in our kitchen, ENJOY!
- 1½ cup Bob’s Redmill paleo flour
- 6 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 6 tbsp hemp seeds
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the hemp, sunflower, flax and chia seeds in a bowl, set aside 3 tablespoons.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add the remaining seeds and pulse until coarsely ground.
- Add the paleo flour and baking soda and pulse until combined.
- Add the eggs, almond milk, olive oil, honey, vinegar and ½ teaspoon of salt and process until well combined.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and smooth it out with a spatula, then sprinkle with the reserved mixed seeds.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Remove the bread from pan.
- Wrap the cooled bread in foil or plastic wrap, or place it in a plastic bag and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.