This super simple 5 minute DAL is divine. Inspiration came from an old favorite recipe from Nigel Slater, adapted for the instant-pot! So far we’ve served it up with sausages, chicken and a jammy fried eggs + tons of veggies. So yum!!
- 1 cup red / yellow lentils (rinsed)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil / ghee
- 3 cups water
- pinch of salt
- Sauté onion, garlic and spices in the oil
- Turn instantpot off and add the lentils and water
- Stir it all up and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When it finishing cooking stir vigorously or “mash” and allow the lentils to smooth out. It will thicken a lot but if too thin you can sauté for a few minutes with the top off.
- We love to serve it up with rice, veggies and a jammy egg on top!
* for stovetop version cook and water on the stovetop for about 25 minutes until they fully absorb the water. At the same time, use a shallow pan to make the ghee (coconut oil, onion, garlic, cumin, salt). Let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve the ghee on top of the lentils.