The definition of toddler problems is wanting to eat everything with your hands but also not wanting to get your hands dirty!?! Solution: meatball on a stick.
But seriously, meatballs are the best food ever. Every family needs a good meatball recipe. Here’s ours:
- 2lbs ground turkey / beef
- 2 Zucchinis (grated)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- For the sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 x cans chopped peeled tomatoes
- generous splash of EVOO
- season with salt & pepper
To make the meatballs:
* Preheat oven to 400F
* In a mixing bowl and using your hands mix all the ingredients for the meatballs together
* Roll into balls slightly larger than a golfball and place on a roasting tray lined with parchment paper
* Roast for about 25 mins until cooked through (roasting them in the oven vs frying and cooking in sauce saves a lot of time). You can also broil for 5 mins to add a little charring.
To make the sauce:
* Over a medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in a few lugs of olive oil until translucent, about 5 – 7 mins
* Add the tomatoes and reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally
* Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken, about 40 mins
* Check seasoning and add salt & pepper if needed
* Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and cook for about 5 mins
Serve over pasta, rice or pop them on a popsicle stick!